In January 1959 at a board meeting of The Rotary Club of Durban it was agreed to investigate the possibility of spreading the Rotary foot print into the greater Durban area. Their extension committee got to work and Rotarians Walter Meyers and Eddie Faulkner were charged to carry the matter forward.
The charter dinner of the Rotary Club of North Durban was held on 19 March 1960 with Walter Meyers as the charter president. The club started with 27 members.
The club grew and included well-known Durban professional personalities and in 1981 boasted 56 members. In 1982 Rotarian Tom Linley was elected District Governor, the only member of our club to date to have held this position.
In 1992 membership was down to 17 members and the lunch time meetings were seen as a major deterrent for professional members. The club therefore changed to an early evening meeting and membership gradually began to increase.
In 1997 our first lady Rotarian Eleanor Hough was inducted. This trend has successfully continued and has been a major boost in membership efforts.
2003 saw a change of name of the club to the Rotary Club of Durban North, which reflected the physical area where we meet and operate in.